Thursday, January 30, 2014

Trainer C - another lesson - oh vey

Today I had a lesson booked in with a lady I've never lessoned (is that a word?) with before. She is recommended by friends who do do very well with their horses, and has also ridden a bit of everything including eventing. I've seen her kids go and always admired them.

It was a dressage lesson, and we had a rope arena up (yay), and it was a long one 60 x 20m.  I haven't even LOOKED at my dressage test for this up coming weekend didn't even think about it when booking my class... and whoops, maybe I should have.

Its NZ eventing test A3... trot in, track left change rein H to B, 15m trot circle, change rein B to K, walk over L. Canter before A, P 20m circle give inside rein over V, B change rein, I trot through to H - rinse repeat above on other rein, except back at C after cantering, walk, S 20m circle on long rein, E trot, V half Circle to L, X halt salute.

A few things, YAY there is no changes of rein from H-F etc - that's a long long way to keep a wiggly horse straight, same for going down the long sides, to took AGES to get it today. Noted, do NOT use the outside rein to keep him over, inside rein to flex and inside leg to push him over. I must must MUST remember this.

So the lesson went really well, it had ugly moments, but what was nice is that I was not forgotten, even when Pencil was having fits, and resisting I got reminded to sit tall, keep the elbows in, hands down and thumbs on top... this is while the horse is reefing on me, or throwing pig roots...

After the customary time that Pencil likes to say - ENOUGH, it is time to flip my tongue over the bit and get a rest! We tried to work through it, but after boot camp yesterday with sprints, and a session at the gym today for a hour I was buggered about not, hip started to get tight... and it wasn't going well -Trainer decided to hop on to have a feel... half way through that - you must ride this horse better than I do - he is so wiggly, not straight, and ***K it went for the 15 mins. She didn't have spurs on and found him a little hard work (OK a lot).

I jumped back on, and got some BEAUTIFUL work from him, I actually felt like I had a short coupled horse instead of a long gangly galloot!

Got home, washed him (with shampoo even) and it didn't take me hours today dancing around his hooves, must be tired and just did a few dances, even got the mane and tail washed.  I promptly let him go in the paddock full of grass, thinking if he rolls (likely) its not on dirt/dust.. he found the one spot the grass was thin on and voila dirty! Only on one side.

While I was chatting after my ride, teacher said - you need to fix that tail and trim it up. So i decided to have a go at it when I got home, I must say I'm proud of how I've done it. I'll take a picture over the weekend and show and tell. :)

Now I need to finish packing, shower, pick the husband up and get some sleep, I want to be on the road by ten tomorrow morning. Think its about 4.5 hours to to Taupo with the float on... maybe more like 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment