Wednesday, January 29, 2014

13 December 2012

OK, so folks - I finally have Foozle at home with me, and I'm in my first week riding full time. I have got a video clip coming - its not pretty and cool and flash - its me, in my fourth day ride feeling loose and floppy and tired (fitness/muscle wise as I also had a big day at the gym yesterday), and it shows. I see some pretty "cool" habits in there that I didn't think I still had (rolled wrist, wide WIDE arms), and while I look over posting - at this stage I can't work on that with my hip still getting stronger.

Pencil is coming along, he is still fussy in this video - which he was improving on at the friends. Fact is - he is in a new place and schooling in a paddock for the first time (its still a novelty) not a reason or excuse, its just that. He gets better as time goes on, and I wished I had caught the end of the ride in the clip. You should be able to see that he is better with the tempo (not as hurried when he is in front of the leg), but the rhythm is not there, some of it is me, some of it is the surface and some of it is him evading. He is still throwing his shoulders as a evasion as well, and the HQ's drop in - I have spurs on because I just don't have the leg to use it once and right and I don't want to nag him - he backs off further. You will also see I come off the seat in canter to the right because I physically(hip) find it extremely hard and in turn he falls out of canter - not overly fair in one sense, and in the other he needs to keep cantering anyway.

So all in all - I need to work on the hand/arm/core (I think its stemming from my core and/or leaning forwards - although that could be coming from shorter irons) the legs will come with riding fitness and my ability to stay with him through changes of rhythm/tempo. For the horse - working towards rhythm, not backing off the leg so much (I feel then the fussyness in the contact should improve after that), and praising more when he is going well - there were a couple of nice moments where it came together for "us" and silly me went and changed things on him without praise and ruined it LOL. He also appears to "go" better on smaller circles when I'm asking him to keep his mind busy - so encorporating more into the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkSY...ature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment