Wednesday, January 29, 2014

8th March 2013

Have two rides that proved interesting this week.

The first was to re-try opening up in the big paddock for another gallop. I didn't push for the gallop this time, more just a good open canter for 2 laps then to pull up reasonably quickly and it went much better.

Second was, after reading everyone elses training threads, I though I should do more transitions and expecting more... so spurs off, and wowsa - we can do walk to canter quite easily. Something I didn't think he was capable of yet because of the lack of leg response - clearly he needed the tune up - as did I... there was NOTHING pretty about this ride AT ALL, it was a mess, but I started out with intentions, before I completed one lap of the arena - asked for a trot, didn't get it - and wallop... from that point on it got quite rushy and I accepted that for this ride so he would still respond sharply to my aids. A few times at halt he got quite upset and thought to rear - so he got whipped into a 15m circle and made to GO/WORK then back to the transitions.
By the end (and I was getting very tired) we could get a transition every 1/4 of a 20m circle at any pace (w,t,c) which is impressive for Pencil he normally takes so much preparation for trans's.

Every second ride, I'm also using a grab strap at the moment which has some interesting results from Pencil and me.... had our first true stretchy trot coming from it (telling me something BIG TIME)... and I'm now desperately wishing for a dressage saddle than my jumping one....

I have a ODE tomorrow which I'm looking forward to! Update then...

No comments:

Post a Comment