Wednesday, January 29, 2014

01 March 2013 - Galloping!

And the most fun update to date

Pencil GALLOPED

And I don't think there is a scarier thing to do than to start teaching a greenie to gallop, and that was no proven wrong today!

I tried before I had surgery to see if he would open up to no avail.

So recently, anytime we get somewhere that is plenty big enough I have been slowly asking more and more of a stride from the canter...

I rode over the neighbours farm tonight, and the plan was to "try" gallop but just feel our way and see how it goes... he is normally far to distracted to open up much anyway.

So I picked the biggest paddock, about 20 acres... takes 10mins to walk from one end to the other.... was it big enough. NO

So several trotting laps as warm up (very wiggly), and then we picked up canter away from the gate, very pokey slow canter - as long as its rhythmic I don't really care.

Back to the gate, bit more enthusiasm. GREAT.

Heading away from the gate I finally really ask for MORE, and while we didn't gallop we were certainly moving along at a clip.

Loop around and head back to the gate/home.... WEEEEEEE GOT IT and JEEPERS the TB side came out in full force, he hunkered down loong and low (I didn't actually feel the change from canter to gallop like I'm used to) but sure enough listen closely and its 4 beats. Righto, enough of this - just short and sweet....


UHOH, not listening... eeek

Standup, pull up is not happening.... that long paddock is NOT LONG ENOUGH. *&^(&$^$%#*$%)*&^

I seriously questioned my sanity for a bit, and pull, pull pull nup nope nothing. Planted a fist with one hand and tugged with the other, nup nope nothing...

I really started thinking we are up the creek without any paddles.... so I start turning and its not nice and not pretty AT ALL

By heading to a solid fence that is the cattle yards at the end heading back away from home... we do a skiddy sort of turn, butt tucked under and throw the shoulders into the turn...

And whew - we are heading back away.. not at a gallop, but a decent canter..." pull up darn you horse!!!"

Several (ok 10) circles later we are down to about 15m, and we are still cantering, finally breaks the trot and I start breathing....

That needs more practice. Haha, good fun ride. We didn't go back to a gallop, but we certainly practiced canter and stand up/pull up.

Trotted a few more laps around and went home - I have unfortunately used the last of the tank water on hosing Pencil off, no shower for me - ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment