Wednesday, January 29, 2014

22 August 2013

New update

No show hunter was done. I chickened out to be honest.... I just didn't know how the day was going to run, didn't want to spend all day there.... and I still had to change his bit over (still do infact) so didn't go

I did have a really great schooling session on my own and had a bit of fun bareback instead and went for a hack the day after. I'm only getting 4-5 rides a week at the moment with how astronomical the weather is being... I took a photo and will post to show the dreadlocks of much in his tail, and he is covered up to his knees/hocks in MUD gah!

So the week been, I had a lesson (was meant to be two) with a national SJ coach. I had been really sick so pulled out of one of them. The lesson went realy really well, I do feel Pencil was a smidged overfaced, because the jumps were not small - easy for him to jump, but not so good for him in a line because he isn't that adjustable yet. If he got the first one right, everything was fine, but we still get deep or long spots and it doesn't bode well for any lines under 4 strides... so we had our first few run outs because a) I was up the poo not riding that well, I kept slipping reins and couldn't keep him very straight. And well, thats it. It was also rather difficult for the first few times because, he would drift to the left out the shoulder - first instinct is to correct with the right rein to keep over to the jump, but of course he would bulge further and hop skip out the side.... so funny a bit, he drifted left, I had to correct with the left rein I still didn't have that sorted out correctly by the end and would use a right HH, and quickly have to over use/exaggerate on the left to make up for my stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Pencil was exceptionally good, jumping well over the 1m range, and he gave everything due attention and has no issue with the height or athletic ability, just the adjustability. I also felt like I needed spurs to have him listening to leg a little bit more as he blew me leg off a bit, so I got handsy during the lesson... which brings me to the next lesson....

Pencil was looking for the fight BIG TIME. I clearly used far to much hand in the SJ lesson, and he also got a bit sore - after the SJ lesson there was fuzzy patches under the saddle
So the next lesson I was feeling a bit blah about and it was really really hard to stay out of the mouth and just use seat for the whole lesson (but I'm lucky that the instructor realised what had happened) and was really good, if it took 3 laps of the arena to get a downwards transition, thats just what it took and she would talk me through it so I didn't get frustrated with it as well and inadvertantly make things worse. AKA not giving Pencil anything to fight against. Couldn't get canter leads or much right... but here is a small clip of the last "round" during the lesson... I purposly cantered out of the ring because I didn't want to haul him around the turn to get to the next fence. He was also exceptionally "wiggy" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZspysfJLEwU

On the plus side he had the saddle fitter out today YAY I've been waiting for ages for that to happen, and inbetween Pencil got massages (he was soooorrre) poor boy. I even tried some dressage saddles!!! Just need to save a few more $$ He changed the balance around a bit, and advised that I need a different type of girth, mine just has to much elastic in it, and when jumping is allowing to much movement back/forward.

So I think I have another lesson this weekend (flat work mostly), I'm hoping to get a lesson with a GP dressage rider who is about a hour away from me who is super expensive, but I figure a one off is worth it for eyes on position.

And thats about it for now.... he has destroyed his bridle, so the the of "The Destroyer" is still fitting LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment